Wednesday, December 13, 2006

New Kayak Model.

A fast, playful boat...and easy to roll.



I was eager to see what Craig of Eastern Island Kayaks would come up with. It's been well over a year now, that he's been promising us a Greenland style kayak. Well he delived...boy, did he ever deliver. So for the first time to the web....here is the Makkovik.

This beautiful little kayak measures 16 feet 7 inches, is 22.5 inches wide and an amazing 12 inches deep. This is the first model made, so future materials will dictate weight....but Craig has a reputation for building strong.



Exquisite lines and finish, with recessed deck fittings and a choice of neoprene/glass hatch covers, or the ever popular Kajak Sport rubber hatches. The attention to detail is obvious. This boat is a beauty to the eye.

One thing I realized as I first viewed this kayak, was how low it's profile was. All good for rolling and especially the wind. But sadly, at 190 pounds, I thought for sure that I'm to heavy for this boat. For any mid to light weight paddlers...and almost all women kayakers, this very well could be one of the best kayaks available today. The women seemed to love it...the guys,?...most of them where about 170lbs or less...Yes, they loved it. Okay, so now the pleasant surprise...even at 190lbs, I actually found it quite good. At 22.5 inches wide, it fit like any other boat. The foot space seemed fine....as for the legs, fit was fine too. However, many of us, both male and female, found the thigh braces to be angled sharply into the legs...but as this is the first model made, Craig can easily correct this. The seat was great for my shape, but he warned us that the present back band was quite simple.

As for shape and performance, please keep in mind that we each only had her for a few minutes in the pool. Still, great to say that we were the first people to ever get the Makkovik wet.

As for my thoughts on the design...with a flare to the bow and v hull, it was actually quite supportive. The centre of gravity seems to be at mid ship. Low back deck for lay back rolls. Just enough rocker to handle any chop and with it's beam, still turn properly on edge. With that said, the Makkovik tracks very straight...so much so, that I would take it without the skeg. It was also a fast boat. Again, these are first impressions...we'll have to wait for spring, or even for the ice on the lakes to melt, for a really full out testing of the metal. On New Years day, it may see the ocean on Alex McGruer's annual sea kayaking on the seas of North America, first of '07..an afternoon outing...If that happens, I'll keep you posted.

Oh,...and as for the name of the kayak....Makkovik is a community about half way up the north coast of Labrador. I have two versions of the spelling....so I'm still waiting an e-mail reply from Craig for correct spelling and his choice of the name. Makkovik sounds good to me. Btw, $3000 or less...

3 Comments:

Blogger Alison Dyer said...

Hey Jamie - I wish I'd been able to make it that night. I thought the Makkovik looked like a terrific boat. Is that our Bob Gagnon doing his amazing handrolls again? what a pro. Alison

8:46 a.m.  
Blogger Michael said...

As a Greenland style paddler, this boat looks like one I'd love to try out. Perhaps I'll run across one next summer when I visit the Rock...

12:51 a.m.  
Blogger WJM said...

"Makkovik" is the only correct spelling.

12:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home